On public relations/communications:
– It’s a wonderful mesh of thinking strategically and acting creatively.
On the importance of communications to organizations:
– It is a vital management function in helping organizations achieve their goals.
On internal communications:
– To me, employees are one of the most important, if not THE most important stakeholder group. We need to pay attention to what valuable resources they really are.
On her career:
– I’ve been blessed to love what I do. I chose a career in public relations in Grade 11, found a university that would teach me what I needed, got some great internships and went from there.
On what skills/aptitudes make a good communications professional:
– Strategic thinking, creativity, strong writing ability, good people skills, persistence and patience.
-I mentor a few young communications professionals and it has been a wonderful experience. It’s sort of a “pay it back” gesture but it’s also a real opportunity to find out how they think and what their world is like. Their enthusiasm and dedication to their careers is amazing.